Pigmentary Disorders is a form of a skin condition that is caused due to abnormality with melanin. It is a pigment that is produced by melanocytes which gives the skin its color. The more the melanin count the darker will be the complexion of the skin. Melanin also determines the color of the hair and eyes. On the other hand, lesser the melanin count the fairer will be the skin complexion.Book an Appointment
There are many factors at play when it comes to Pigmentary Disorders and depend on the type of disorder. In many cases, the root cause of the condition cannot be identified. However, the most common causes of Pigmentary Disorders include.
- Autoimmune causes in which the immune system of the body attacks the melanocytes causing abnormality in the production of melanin
- Genetic factors
- Increased levels of progesterone and estrogen due to use of birth control pills, pregnancy, or hormone replacement during menopause
- Skin inflammation due to other skin disorders like eczema or psoriasis
- Cosmetic procedures like chemical peels
- In rare cases a reaction to a certain medication tends to result in Pigmentary Disorders
The primary symptoms of a Pigmentary Disorder are abnormally light or dark colored skin. Even the face may look abnormally white and the eyes will be pink to red.
The most common treatments for Pigmentary Disorders include
- Immune suppressants are also quite effective in restoring normal color and treat the symptoms of Pigmentary Disorders
- Laser resurfacing, chemical peels, Mesotherapy are some of the procedures that are quite effective in treating the symptoms of Pigmentary Disorders
- Skin grafting surgery is also considered as quite an effective treatment for the symptoms of Pigmentary Disorders. In cases of hypopigmentation, NBUVB, medications, injections, and surgery are the most preferred method of treatment.
- With state of the art infrastructure, experienced physicians, and latest technology, Dr. Rajeshwari’s Clinic is apt for effective treatment for all types of pigmentary disorders.